Friday, April 3, 2009

Day 5

Flying back home today. Some random facts, observations and lessons learned:

MUC is a pretty nice airport. Lufthansa has this Senator Café in addition to the usual lounges. The Senator Café is excellent; serviced bar + nice food, such as freshly squeezed juice, pickled herring, and cherry mousse.

FRA, in contrast, is a pretty horrible airport. To access the lounge located in the same terminal as my flight, I have to go through *2* security check points and walk over 20 minutes (and I walk very fast). Could anyone tell me why they want to put multiple security check points within the same terminal? If it were the summer season with more travelers I might have missed my flight.

Germany (at least Munich) is surprisingly vegetarian friendly. Some restaurants even have separate menu sections for "vegetarisch" (the only German word I learned). There is even a posh vegan restaurant in Munich. Myth buster: Germans do eat veggies other than potatoes and sauerkraut.

While chatting happily with my neighbor about the best coach class seats we got, I was moved to the business class. It is kind of unusual, as I did not ask for upgrade, the flight is not full, and my booking class is Q. What kind of algorithms do the airlines use for upgrading (and more interestingly, pricing)?

No comments:

Post a Comment