Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 0

I was heading to Munich to EG09 for a STAR paper (state of the art report which is kind of like a short course). Initially I did not feel strongly to go as a French co-author could manage to cover everything, but then the company budget cut policy made international travel very difficult, so I decided I must make it. ;-D

On the flight from SFO to LHR I tried the Bose noise-reduction headset. It is pretty effective in reducing regular engine/body humming noise, allowing me to listen to the movie audios for the first time in flight. However, the headset does not seem to apply for other kinds of less regular noises such as people talking. This is to be expected; if you think about that you will see it is much easier to cancel a regular waveform (frequency locking + phase cancelation) than an irregular one.

After arrival in MUC, I took S-Bahn (suburban train) from the airport to my hotel, which is located near downtown. I preferred that than the conference recommended hotels which all seem to be located in the middle of nowhere. Since Munich weather appears to be similar to Seattle, living in a desolated place does not seem like a good idea.


(Photo taken from S8 Bahn looking out towards the northern suburb of Munich)

Following lonely planet guide, I barged into a local Bavarian restaurant for dinner. I have little luck deciphering the dishes even with an English menu, so I ended up having a soup (with a soaked pretzel) and a plate of two cheese balls (with a dry pretzel). I guess these must be authentic Bavarian cooking, but not exactly for me.


(Dinner with one mug of soup and a plate of cheese balls)

No comments:

Post a Comment